July 20, 2007 02:42PM
A large machine pounding out pieces

People who have mental retardation/ developmental disabilities singing to themselves, laughing with/ at each other, and telling us "I'm such a retard" because they hear the phrase in society so much (they don't mean it literally).

My coworker changing the radio station every two minutes...to suck stations at that.

***Siren
Re: ...
September 26, 2007 01:34PM
This was originally a reply to another post re: what we listen to at work. I'm just a nimrod who couldn't click the right button.

Oh well.

Figured I'd explain, since I wasn't allowed to erase the damn thing.
September 26, 2007 07:16PM
I would LOVE to hear retards call themselves retarded! Now if only they'd embrace the term "catfish".

Rockstar Mode
Late Sat./ early Sun.
2-7 am EDT
February 13, 2008 02:59PM
It was quite difficult not to laugh at this. Being a "teacher" of sorts, I was supposed to discourage any sort of "socially inappropriate" behavior, including spoken slurs.

It was still damn funny though.

RE: the catfish comment...it may be all the sleep dep, but ya lost me.

***Siren
March 12, 2008 08:04AM
Having worked in the hospitality industry for man years, you learn to hate people. You also become accustomed to inappropriate behavior and general deviance. An ex-girlfriend of mine introduced me to the term "catfish". In essence, it is a derogation for someone who has Down's Syndrome. In her mind, they "look[ed] like catfish without the whiskers."

Rockstar Mode
Late Sat./ early Sun.
2-7 am EDT
Anonymous User
March 13, 2008 08:37PM
I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if we all had Down's Syndrome.

I thought about this theory (it is not an original theory but I have only discussed this with myself,)

I believe that Down's Syndrome is natures way of protecting itself from humans or any other organism that eventually reaches the top of the food chain and stays there for a while. That our Evolution has its genetic limitation. Even through natural/sexual selection and mutation we end up DEVOLVING (thus the DEVO theory but their theory followed the social/ economic aspect of society.) Because structurally we could not handle any further alterations in our genetic code. Kind of like when you make a photocopy of a photocopy to the point you cannot understand the original message. Think about all the other syndromes out there... like giantism, whether the mutation may produce a formidable specimen in size it fails to compensate for major functions like the heart. Thus most people with giantism tend to die of heart failure because their hearts where never design to pump that much blood and oxygen.

I mean think about it. You know that cliche term Handicap-able? Well, there is some truth to that. For whatever the reason our bodies have a way of compensating for what ever sense or physical skill we may lack.

Blind people, tend to develop an acute sense of hearing and touch. People with limbs missing develop impressive motor skills and strength and so on.

I believe this is also the case with people with down syndrome. What they lack in intellect and motor skills there is a large majority of them that have formidable strength.

Our ancestors as they progressed in intellect they lost much of they physical fortitude. Because of this, from conceptions, humans are the most vulnerable organism in regards to the nurturing process. Think about how long it takes for a dog to learn how to walk VS. a baby.

Basically in short when I think of "Retards" I think of the future. Maybe we should call them "futards" instead.
March 14, 2008 11:26AM
Yeah, that's why they call it "retard strength", though this is mostly from a lack of comprehension of the use of force and deciphering a proper amount. Also, you are correct about other handicaps. In the instance of the blind, they cannot use sight, so it's not so much that their other senses improve as it is their ability to understand how to use the senses better--they are more tuned in to the touch and hearing.

Rockstar Mode
Late Sat./ early Sun.
2-7 am EDT
August 13, 2008 12:39PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 6 on October 02, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 177 on June 09, 2012