Welcome Freshman (Class of 2011)
August 22, 2007 07:54PM
Re: Welcome Fresheman (Class of 2011)
August 22, 2007 08:02PM
63. Avatars have nothing to do with Hindu deities.

For me, the Avatar has always been the name of the player character in the Ultima series of computer games. ^_^
Re: Welcome Fresheman (Class of 2011)
August 23, 2007 06:00PM
I can totally relate to the gist of this list.

I wrote out a long philosophical paragraph regarding perspective differences as a function of age and the pluses and minuses of one's peer group being raised in a very different reality from one's own, but realized that in the end, there's no point in going on about that.

Those who would understand it, already do. Those who won't understand it for another decade or two wouldn't be interested in the first place.

And really - if you think about it - 10, 15, 20 years? They are only significant to us because of how our psyche processes things in the 3-D reality we spend most our consciousness in.

However,

they are nothing in the grand scheme of existence.

I think the Asian cultures had a good idea in honoring and respecting their elders. Much wisdom comes through life experience and today's seniors have seen a lot of life and change in the world. It's weird, though, because these very same people are also kind of locked into the world view of their upbringing too, and so are limited in analysis in the same ways that young people are, but to a lesser degree. (i know, i know, generalizations) We can all learn from each other through being open-minded and seeking the truth of situations and interactions. In this respect, age is not the issue.

ack

I said I wasn't going to go on about it and I did. It's pretty cool to think about, though. Time. Age. Experience. I'm really happy to have so many awesome younger friends. Wish there were more people over 35 hanging out in artistic places (ahem, noise shows) but really I'm just glad I can do it myself regardless.

Everybody's a star. Recognize.
Re: Welcome Freshman (Class of 2011)
August 23, 2007 06:41PM
I think the Asian cultures had a good idea in honoring and respecting their elders. Much wisdom comes through life experience and today's seniors have seen a lot of life and change in the world. It's weird, though, because these very same people are also kind of locked into the world view of their upbringing too, and so are limited in analysis in the same ways that young people are, but to a lesser degree.

Insert lame joke about parents having to ask their child to program the VCR.
Re: Welcome Freshman (Class of 2011)
August 31, 2007 01:37AM
The Class of 2021 (if the world doesn't end in 2012):

What's a VCR?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 6 on October 02, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 177 on June 09, 2012