Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are your favorite non-WCSB radio shows?

Posted by deadhead 
What are your favorite non-WCSB radio shows?
January 17, 2007 05:49PM
All of mine are from WRUW; between 'CSB and WRUW, I can listen virtually all day every day to something "good"

6. Stonecoldbikini-pretty good indie rock show and I love Christine's soothing voice
5. Cream of Broccoli Radio Hour-better indie rock show
4. Your Serpentine Pad-another good indie show
3. Music for Psychedelic Submariners-great for classic prog rock and Zappa, tho I could do without the libertarian rants
2. Dig Baby Dig-the best of the unheard garage/early psychedelic era. Also one of the better produced shows in regard to IDs, bumpers, and features(i.e. compare and contrast)
1. Your Favorite Rebellion-the very best of both old and new garage/underground/punk; also leads off each week with a great Dictators song. A classic show for 25 years!
Re: What are your favorite non-WCSB radio shows?
January 17, 2007 06:14PM
Trivisono
January 18, 2007 05:40AM
i like the music on dig baby dig but i can't stand how the guy talks. sorry but there was only one Wolfman Jack.
other than that, music to break things by is the only other college radio show i've listened to. and a couple of my friends do it so i'm probably biased.
i just don't listen to much radio at all.
i know that is pretty much a crime, considering. but oh well.
January 18, 2007 07:05AM
Tony Coulter (WFMU- Jersey City, NJ)

Black Sand (WXOJ-Northampton, MA)

Radio Dystopia (WRUW)

Respect the Rock USA (WRUW)

Mitch Capka (WJCU)
January 18, 2007 07:26AM
shakesomeaction Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i like the music on dig baby dig but i can't stand
> how the guy talks. sorry but there was only one
> Wolfman Jack.

point well taken
Anonymous User
January 18, 2007 11:06AM
I know this is going to sound lame but if I am not listening to WCSB I listen to NPR...my favorite show is "This American Life" and I am really upset that it has been forever since I have heard an episode. Next would be "Market Place" even though I don't have any stock shares or wish to become a businessman of any sort the program some how manages to make the information entertaining and relevant to other aspects of the topic. Then on third place there is a tie with Terry Gross "fresh air" and Diane Ream "The Diane Ream Show. It is all about the voice.
January 18, 2007 11:38PM
-NPR
-whatever cds i have in the car if i dont listen to the radio

---------------------------------

carnage asada [U GNARLIN?]
thursday night 11p-1a

you will miss me when im gone. you will miss my hateful song.
January 29, 2007 11:58AM
Who else but -- DOCTOR DEMENTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plague! I miss that show. WRUW had it on its airwaves around 1989. Of course, for years it would suddenly appear and then disappear on virtually every Cleveland commercial FM-radio station, but none of the party-poopers in Cleveland dared give it a run of more than two years.

And before I discovered college radio, back in the '70s there used to be this radio-archive program called "Archie Rothman's Time Machine" on -- of all places -- WMMS!!! The bloody programme almost lasted four years at that crapshoot. And boy, was it a wonder to listen to. Rothman could have been a college radio pioneer, but instead he got too wrapped up in "the Buzzard" (which everybody thought was so "progressive" back then).

And as with MANY folks who emerged before FM became such a big thing, I misspent a great deal of my youth listening to -- CKLW!!!! The Big 800 AM from Windsor-Detroit. One of the morning jocks named Gary Burbank was one of those folks who did bizarroid characters and delightful skits on the air. That's why he was canned after receiving so many of Detroit's media-awards.

And now? My favorite non-'CSB programme is, of course, "The Spandex Years" on WRUW! "Dig Baby Dig" is pretty cool, too.

HARK TO THE BRILLIANCE IN THE DARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 12, 2007 08:13AM
Roger, Ace, and Zack from WRUW. Bill and Mitch at WJCU. Yeah, I'm really partial to the metal ones. Stansbury on (sic) WMMS is actually really funny (Youtube the video where he smokes salvia). Dr. Demento agreed. Actually, I haven't listened to ANY (even our own) radio for months. I know, I know.....
April 14, 2007 09:32PM
yeah i would have to say my favorite radio show...even when considering college radio shows is this american life. that sho is sooooo good.

i wanna see the TV series...im sure it rules
April 15, 2007 11:55AM
H.A.R.M. tuesdays on WRUW - free form experimental format - I can't catch it every week, and rarely for the entire show, but it's a really interesting show. He "utilizes the highest technology" (inside joke to Ryan) and some pretty obscure samples, etc, both musical and spoken word stuff.. pretty cool show, unusual for daylight hours programming.

that DJ is doing post-graduate work in Robotics Engineering at Case, some kind of brain trust - I think he was the radio station manager at a school in Texas when he was an undergrad.
April 18, 2007 09:57AM
without a doubt, "Yard Vibes" with Mistress Aja on WRUW. Best show ever.
April 21, 2007 11:15AM
thats pretty funny
Anonymous User
April 24, 2007 11:36PM
I also have to add to the list
KDHX St louis radio station shows: "Greaser's Lunch Box", "Ska's the limit" (those two you can pretty much guess the format), Dangerous Curves (a show that fetures only women rock n roll artist) aaaaaaand...............that Jewish radio show on 88.7fm Sunday mornings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 11:40PM by xpat138.
April 25, 2007 05:33AM
you SO do not listen to that jewish show! you are such a wannabe. haha

----------------------------------------------
Drinking Electricity-all your new wave, no wave and post-punk favorites
Friday nights 9pm-11pm
Anonymous User
April 25, 2007 06:33AM
I used to...and I still would if sunday was not my day of rest...the programmers voice is hullarious.
May 04, 2007 06:10PM
hmmm i would have to say, all the shows on slayradio.org, a lot of the shows on WRUW, wish i could talk bout JCU, but i could not get them where i used to live. Coast to Coast AM on most AM stations, ALex Jones, etc.
May 06, 2007 06:40PM
Mike Trivisonno is the biggest moronic fucking blowhard on Cleveland radio today. He is the perfect combination of forcefully reactionary opinion, sports and pop-culture focus, and profound ignorance. In other words, he has ZERO redeeming qualities. Some radio blowhards can at least talk in a way that they fool you into thinking they're intelligent (like I've fooled all my listeners). But Trivisonno? It would take an even bigger idiot than him to fall for his bullshit.
June 06, 2007 08:30AM
Hey, I forgot to mention "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater". From 1974 until about 1984, that programme was broadcast from WKBN-AM in Youngstown [sic]. E.G. Marshall hosted the show for until about 1979, when Tammy Grimes became host. It was actually a pretty decent attempt to update the old anthology-radio-theatre format, and it did a bit better than the science-fiction attempt at radio theatre called "X Minus One". People forget that the 1970s were a time when various interests tried to revive radio-theater as a competent entertainment venue. It may never have really succeeded in commercial markets, but WCSB knew how to do it right with the ultimate bit of radio theatre: BRAINROT!
July 10, 2007 08:01AM
Sunday seems to be the ultimate radio day, which fits nicely with my lazy approach to Sunday. Start off with WRUW's Chasing Infinity (indiepop) and Cream of Brocolli, then some NPR for Studio 360 and This American Life, then Bart's show, then a break for awhile, then Order Disorder, then On the One on RUW, and finally back to CSB for some Synaesthesia. No matter what day it is I'm listening to something on CSB. Love yall.
July 15, 2007 04:43AM
I would not be as eloquent as the Dok abot Triv. fat piece of shit. He's somewhere in between Rush, Howard, and Rome--all vying for the ultimate crown of overrated shitty dumbass blowhard. Trivisonno needs a dick in his mouth to shut the fuck up. Rome, too.

Rockstar Mode
Late Sat./ early Sun.
2-7 am EDT
July 18, 2007 10:24AM
Who's "Rome", and why shouldn't I care?
July 29, 2007 12:56AM
baronightwolf
Who's "Rome", and why shouldn't I care?
Jim Rome, another sports talk blowhard, but not as fat as Trivisonno. He actually has a TV show, where he spouts the sports equivalent of The Racist Caller! Meaning, just fucking ignorant.
August 01, 2007 10:20AM
If we're lucky, he will go the way of Don Imus. And hopefully, that self-glorifying Al Sharpton will go that way, too. Outing racism is no excuse for viciously inconsiderate self-aggrandizement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 10:23AM by baronightwolf.
August 08, 2007 09:43AM
The old time country music hour on www.WEVL.org every Wed from 3-4 cst.
August 16, 2007 11:28AM
In no particular order:

*"College Pop Starts With XTC" (hosted by Ben Hrouda, 8-10 PM Saturdays on WRUW)

*"Dig Baby Dig" (as long as John E. Midnight isn't talking politics, which he has thankfully avoided lately)

There's even a few good commercial radio shows out there.

*"The Stephanie Miller Show," formerly on WARF before they went sports, still available through [stephaniemiller.com] . Unique combination of political satire and Morning Zoo-style hijinks. As one of the show's bumpers puts it: "It's like a Mensa meeting with fart jokes!"

*"Nick at Night," hilarious pop culture commentary by Chicago playwright/critic Nick Digilio. Plays late Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on Chitown megastation WGN 720 AM. Go to [nickdigilio.notlong.com] for more info and audio samples.

*"Little Steven's Underground Garage." Every Sunday night at 10 PM, I listen to Little Steven and Synesthesis simultaneously until Dr. Sinister starts his talk show. If Herr Doktor really is leaving his show, I'll miss him, but at least I might be able to hear Little Steven all the way through. Thanks, Doc!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"This is No Money Mark. Why are you listening to WCSB Cleveland?"
August 16, 2007 05:15PM
haha WARF. i hate that dig baby dig is on at the same time as me.
December 14, 2011 01:32PM
BITD, Archie Rothman's Time Machine, J.R. Nelson's show on WMJI, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, The Soul Train on WABQ, Dr. Demento.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 6 on October 02, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 177 on June 09, 2012