Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

jazz recipes vegan hot cocoa/seitan holiday roast

jazz recipes vegan hot cocoa/seitan holiday roast
January 12, 2010 11:42AM
Hot chocolate is one of cold weather’s pleasures. Nothing feels better than coming in from the cold to a hot steaming mug of cocoa. Traditionally made with dairy milk, hot chocolate (cocoa) is a favourite drink for kids and adults alike.

It's easy to gravitate towards store-bought dried hot chocolate mixes, but they're expensive and not particularly nutritious. Most contain milk products and a lot of hydrogenated oils, meaning saturated and trans fats.

Vegan hot cocoa products are not common items on store shelves. But don’t fret – here are three easy recipes to warm your toes. Making hot chocolate at home is a fun gourmet treat, and it needn’t take long.
Note About the Ingredients

* Some brands of cocoa powder contain milk ingredients. Be sure to check the label before purchasing.
* These recipes were tested using plain unsweetened soy milk. If using a flavoured or sweetened (sometimes labelled as “original” or “plain”) beverage, decrease the added sugar. Soy milk makes a thick, rich beverage because of its fat content. For this reason, all-natural brands work exceptionally well.

Vegan Stovetop Hot Chocolate Recipe

This recipe comes first because it provides exceptional flavour and texture. If there is time, making the stovetop version is well worth the time.

Serves: 2

Ingredients:

* 4 Tbsp. organic vegan sugar
* 3 Tbsp. vegan cocoa
* ½ tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
* 2 1/3 cups plain non-dairy (soy, almond, or rice) milk
* ½ tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Combine sugar, cocoa and cinnamon (if using) in a small saucepan.
2. Gently stir in milk.
3. Warm over medium heat, stirring or whisking constantly, until hot. Do not boil.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Microwave Hot Chocolate for One Recipe

Hot cocoa in the micro isn’t quite the same, but is still delicious and much faster than the stovetop. Emulsifying the cocoa with a touch of liquid before heating it ensures a smoother texture.

Total time: 5 minutes

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

* 1 Tbsp. vegan cocoa powder
* 1-2 Tbsp. vegan sugar
* 1 cup non-dairy milk
* ¼ tsp. vanilla or almond extract

Directions:

1. In a large mug, mix together cocoa powder, sugar, and 2 Tbsp. non-dairy milk.
2. Whisk together with a small fork until blended.
3. Add the rest of the non-dairy milk and microwave on high for one minute; stir.
4. Add almond or vanilla extrac and stir.

Easiest Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipe

For times when the need for chocolate is imminent.

Ingredients:

* 1 cup chocolate- or carob-flavoured non-dairy beverage

Directions:

1. In a large mug, heat non-dairy beverage in the microwave approximately 1 minute or until hot.
2. Enjoy the easiest one-minute hot chocolate!

Seitan Holiday Roast

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
3 tablespoons thyme, sage & rosemary mix
1 1/2 cups veggie broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 celery stalk, minced
1/8 small onion, minced
Broth Ingredients:
2 cups veggie broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
3 tablespoons thyme, sage & rosemary mix
1/2 celery stalk, minced
1/8 small onion

Directions:

To make the roasts, mix up the the first four dry ingredients. For the spice mix, just throw in whatever tastes good - I used thyme and sage as they remind me of thanksgiving flavours. Mix the rest of the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. I used a magic bullet to mince up the onion and celery as i didn't want large chunks in my roast. slowly combine the wet into the dry ingredients, kneading as you go. Knead for at least 2 minutes, and then divide into two small roasts.

Put the roasts into a 1.5 quart baking dish. If you want, cut up the baby potatoes to bake with the roasts. Mix up the broth ingredients, and pour half into the baking dish with the roasts. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes. At this point, most of the broth will have evaporated. Pour in the second half of the broth and bake for about 20-25 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. serve warm.

As a side note, i cut my roasts into slices before i baked the second time. This allowed the juices to really get in and marinade the roast. But that's completely optional.

Source of recipe: i opted to get my hands wet and create a homemade 'faust' this year for the holidays. it was the first time i ever worked with seitan, and i think it turned out pretty well.

Makes: 2 small roasts (serves about 4), Preparation time: 35 minutes, Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
Re: jazz recipes vegan hot cocoa/seitan holiday roast
January 12, 2010 12:12PM
I want to share a Honeydew by the fire with you Ryanspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 6 on October 02, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 177 on June 09, 2012