Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remember the Mean Farmer?

Posted by baronightwolf 
Remember the Mean Farmer?
October 30, 2006 09:28AM
kehkehkekhkehkehk ...

Who could forget that absolutely evil laugh as the Mean Farmer described the horrors he was about to unleash on farm animals, bankers, hunters, and even passers-by on the previews for "THE MEAN FARMER SHOW" that week --and usually the next week? "On the Situational Channel, Channel One."
I first heard this bizarroid set of delightfully sadistic snippets as background-sound on a "CassetteFest" media-barrage around '91 or '92. Eventually, I found out that Mike Kole (or possibly another late-Sunday-night deejay) was playing them on his programme.
I was subsequently informed that the "Mean Farmer" tape (sometimes referred to as "The Mean Farm Report") was supposedly found somewhere on the West Coast in a vacant house which was being rented by, of all people, the band Soundgarten sometime in the latter '80s. Apparently the people who put together the tape were never identified, and it was assumed that it was an audition-tape some other artist or actor had left behind. Soundgarten allegedly gave it a limited distribution in certain non-commercial markets.
I was fortunate enough to record all the "Mean Farmer" skits, and boy are they something to hear. They would make a great companion programme to classic episodes of "Brainrot Radio Theater" or certain segues by Lords Of The Highway (such as their "Truckman" routine).
Of course, I can't help but wonder if anyone out there might be able to ADD anything to the bizarre story of "The Mean Farmer". Who made the tape? Has anyone come forward? When exactly during the '80s was it made?
I'm assuming somebody knows something, but maybe they can't bring themselves to say it. And why? Maybe, it's like the Mean Farmer always said:
"They know what's gonna happen ... They know, don't think they don't!"

kehkehkehkehkehkehkehk ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2006 09:32AM by baronightwolf.
Re: Remember the Mean Farmer?
November 02, 2006 04:47PM
The first time I remeber hearing the Mean Farmer report was on Mitch Greenberg's Show, Under the Influence. It was a regular segment on his show. I think my favorite episode was when the Farmer turned in to the Mean Pilot. The mean farmer was not my favorite style of humor but was good for a laugh every now and then.

Scruggscorp Syndicated Radio
Sunday Nights, Midnight- 2 AM
November 24, 2008 11:05AM
OK, people -- I've finally found out the who, where, what, and why on THE MEAN FARMER SHOW.

THE MEAN FARMER is but one of several concepts/characters created by an Omaha, Nebraska-based deejay named OTIS TWELVE. Yeah, apparently that's his real name. He has apparently been around on such Nebraska radio stations as Z-92, KFAB, KKAR, and CD 105.9 since the 1970s, and had acquired some notoriety as a member of the Ogden Edsl Wahalia Blues Ensemble Mondo Bizarrio Band -- Ogden Edsl for short -- which often had the Number One spot on Dr. Demento's Funny 5 with that famous ditty "Dead Puppies"; they also did the pedophile-friendly "Kinko The Clown". Twelve did oddball comedy-skits on most of his shows (much in the manner of CKLW's Gary Burbank back in the mid-70s), and his "Mean Farmer Show" seems to date back to around 1986, but his major comedy endeavors have long been centered around a Buck Rogers parody called "Space Commander Wack", which seems to be along the lines of Firesign Theatre's "Mark Time". He and his usual collaborator Diver Dan Doomey also have done "Larry Stallion, Radio Detective", and other sick bits.

And yes -- they now do them on the Internet. Completely new episodes of "The Mean Farmer", "Wack", and the others can be heard at [mefeedia.com], or else go to the MP3 Library on OtisTwelve.com. Apparently they have been podcasting these new episodes since 2007.

You know what's gonna happen. You know.

Kehkehkehkehkehk!
November 28, 2008 09:01PM
Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed about the Ogden Edsl connection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 6 on October 02, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 177 on June 09, 2012